Search Engine Optimisation
What is Search Engine Optimisation?
Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) is the process of making a website “naturally” rank higher in the organic (non-paid) results of search engines. The most common way for users to find websites online is through search engines such as Google, Yahoo and Bing.
How does SEO work?
There are hundreds of factors that determine how your site ranks on a search engine, and these factors are changing everyday. For your site to get a ranking, first it must be "indexed". Indexing involves a process where a search engine "bot" scans your website.
Generally, there are three main fields that need to be addressed when optimising a website:
- Optimise "the code" - The way a website is constructed through the HTML programing language (a.k.a. "the code") can greatly impact on how well your site is indexed. If a search engine is unable to understand how your site is constructed, it may not be able to correctly index it and therefore will not be able to rank all pages properly.
- Optimise the content - The actualy content your site plays a major role in how well a search engine will rank any particular page. If your site only has a few pages with one or two paragraphs of text that never change, you probably won't be found for many search terms. However, if your website has hundreds of pages spanning several topics that are updated frequently, a search engine will realise that your website is potentially a valueable resource and therefore rank it very well.
- Optimise referal links - How do search engines calculate how good your website is in relation to the rest of the web? The easiest search way to determine this is through referrals. If you only have a few websites linking to yours from industries that aren't very well related to your industry, a search engine will most likely understand your website isn't a great resource. However, if you have hundreds of relavent websites linking to yours, it will add significantly to your websites reputation with a search engine.
It is important to remember that search engines exist as a tool to help users find answers, and that if you want a search engine to rank your website well you need to A. provide those answers, and B. ensure that the search engine knows you have the answer.
How can Antevo help?
Our aim is to make your website visible in the major search engines natural (organic) search results for your desired keywords/phrases.
As a minimum standard, we produce all websites to a level of quality that will provide search engines with the easiest code to index. This allows your website to be found for keywords that aren't highly competitive such as your company name.
In addition to this, we offer SEO packages for targeting more specific keywords/phrases that are highly competitive for your industry (for example, designer jeans or building companies melbourne). These packages more greatly focus on optimising for each keyword, and the number of keywords that we optimise for will determine the price.
What should I look out for?
The complex algorithms behind search engines are updated frequently to keep up with new ways people are using them. Recent trends in search include:
- Local Search - People are now starting to search for products & services on a more localised level. Instead of searching on a general level, e.g. “building companies, melbourne”, people are now becoming more narrow in there searches, e.g. “building companies, caulfield”.
- Mobile Search - Availability of mobile phone browsing technology is now broadening, and the opportunities for businesses to be found in local search results is significant. Now is the time for companies to respond to this trend in behaviour. Mobile Websites are now a large part of a company's online brand.
We here at Antevo pride ourselves on our ability to keep up to date with the latest trends in all things tech, including search engines. It is important to select a web developer that understands search engines, both now and in the future.
< Back to Services